The Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology recognizes our top staff and students, both graduate and undergraduate, in our departmental awards ceremony each year.
EEB Graduate Student Awards:
Students are nominated by faculty unless otherwise noted.
- Outstanding Publication by a Graduate Student
This award is given to a current or recently graduated MS or PhD student who has published an outstanding research paper within the last academic year.
- Sandy Echternacht Outstanding Teaching by a Graduate Student.
- Outstanding Outreach & Community Service
- Outstanding Master’s Thesis
- Jim Tanner Outstanding Dissertation
- Best Progress Towards Dissertation
- Thomas G. Hallam Appreciation Award (Students are nominated and voted for by their peers)
EEB Undergraduate Student Awards:
- Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award
- Outstanding Undergraduate Poster Award
- Undergraduate Award for Professional Promise
- Outstanding Undergraduate Award
- Dr. Clifford Amundsen Ecology Scholarship Endowment Support for undergraduate research and scholarship: Through the generosity of Ginny Dant, Kari Amundsen Apter and Margie Amundsen. Dr. Amundsen was a faculty member in the Department of Botany at UTK for 37 years. His research specialty was plant physiological ecology, with a special interest in wet refuge habitats. He worked extensively in Alaska, Idaho, and the Southern Appalachian region.
EEB Staff Awards:
- EEB Outstanding Administrative Service Award
Graduate School Awards:
- Shipley-Swann Graduate School Fellowship. This fellowship recognizes graduate students across campus who demonstrate academic excellence; it provides students with a stipend of $5,000 for the year.
Division of Biology Awards:
There are several awards available to graduate students in any of the three biology departments (EEB, Microbiology, and Biochemistry & Cellular and Molecular Biology (BCMB)) or the Graduate School of Genome Science and Technology.
- The Alexander Hollaender Graduate Fellowship
This fellowship is made possible through an endowment fund contributed by Dr. and Mrs. Alexander Hollaender. In 1944, Dr. Hollaender established the Division of Biology at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and was its director until 1967. Hollaender had close ties to East Tennessee and expressed the wish that strong preference in awarding fellowships be given to students from this region. The Fellowship Committee will consider academic qualifications, geographical origin, and scientific/ professional promise. There will be one award each year in the amount of $6,000.
- Timothy L. Cokkinias Award
The Division of Biology sponsors one award each year to a graduate student, based on their record of scholarly achievements at the University of Tennessee. The awards are in the amount of $1,000. Recipients also have their names recorded on a plaque displaying each year’s awardees.
- Carolyn W. Fite Award
This $1000 award recognizes two outstanding graduate students who demonstrate professional promise through an excellent academic record and interest in research and scholarship. Recipients also have their names recorded on a plaque displaying each year’s awardees.
- Biology Teaching Award
The Division of Biology offers this award to recognize excellence in teaching by a graduate student at the University of Tennessee. There is one award each year in the amount of $1000.
To view current and past award recipients, please view the EEB blog links, below.