Research InterestConservation, theoretical ecology
2003 – Ph.D., Stanford (Biological Sciences)
2000 – Ph.D., James Cook (Mathematics)
Research in our lab group examines how ecology and socioeconomic sciences can be integrated more effectively to inform conservation strategies and the management of natural resources. Our approach is highly interdisciplinary and integrates mathematical modeling, statistical analyses, GIS, ecological field surveys, socioeconomic data, and other approaches. Our research aims to inform both biodiversity conservation strategies and the management of ecosystem services (benefits nature provides to people) and often involves close collaborations with NGOs, public agencies and for-profit companies.
Visit Google Scholar for more publications.
- Armsworth, P.R. 2018. Time discounting and the decision to protect areas that are near and threatened or remote and cheap to acquire. Conservation Biology, 32, 1063-1073.
- Armsworth, P.R., Jackson, H.B., Cho, S.H., Clark, M., Fargione, J.E., Iacona, G.D., Kim, T., Larson, E.R., Minney, T., Sutton, N. 2018. Is conservation right to go big? protected area size and conservation return-on-investment. Biological Conservation, 225, 229-236.
- Fovargue, R., Fisher, M., Harris, J., Armsworth, P.R. 2018. The landscape of conservation philanthropy. Conservation Biology, in press.
- Iacona, G.D., Sutherland, W., Mappin, B., Adams, V., Armsworth, P.R., et al. 2018. Standardized accounting of the costs of management interventions for biodiversity conservation. Conservation Biology, 32, 979-988.
- Armsworth, P.R., Jackson, H.B., Cho, S.H., Clark, M., Fargione, J.E., Iacona, G.D., Kim, T., Larson, E.R., Minney, T., Sutton, N. 2017. Factoring economic costs into conservation planning may not improve agreement over which areas should be priorities for protection Nature Communications, 8, 2253. DOI:10.1038/s41467-017-02399-y.
- Lennox, GD, Fargione, JM, Spector, S, Williams, G, Armsworth, P.R. 2017. The value of flexibility in conservation financing. Conservation Biology, 31, 666-674.
- Milt, A.W., Armsworth, P.R. 2017. Performance of a cap and trade system for managing environmental impacts of shale gas surface infrastructure. Ecological Economics, 131, 399-406.