Research InterestMathematical Ecology, Landscape Ecology
- B.A. in Mathematics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1974 (with honors)
- M.S. in Mathematics with a minor in Ecology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1975
- Ph.D. in Mathematical Ecology (a Special Individual Ph.D. Program), University of Washington, Seattle, 1980
Sustainability and ecosystem management in the context of large disturbances and climate change
Selected Publications (Total 11 books and 254 articles, chapters, and reports) (V. Dale was formerly V. Adams). View full CV here.
- Dale VH, S Brown, RA Haeuber, NT Hobbs, N Huntly, RJ Naiman, WE Riebsame, MG Turner, and TJ Valone. 2000. Ecological principles and guidelines for managing the use of land. Ecological Applications 10: 639-670.
- Dale VH, LA Joyce, S McNulty, RP Neilson, MP Ayres, MD Flannigan, PJ Hanson, LC Irland, AE Lugo, CJ Peterson, D Simberloff, FJ Swanson, BJ Stocks, and BM Wotton. 2001. Forest disturbances and climate change. BioScience 51(9):723-734.
- Dale VH, Efroymson RA and Kline KL. 2011. The land use – climate change – energy nexus. Landscape Ecology 26(6):755-773.
- Dale VH, Kline KL, Kaffka SR, and Langeveld JWA. 2013. A landscape perspective on sustainability of agricultural systems. Landscape Ecology 28(6): 1111-1123.
- Efroymson RA, Kline KL, Angelsen A, Verburg PH, Dale VH, Langeveld JW, McBride A. 2016, A causal analysis framework for land-use change and the potential role of bioenergy. Land Use Policy 59:516-527.
- Dale, VH and CM Crisafulli. 2017. Ecological Responses to the 1980 Eruption of Mount St. Helens: Key Lessons and Remaining Questions. Chapter 1 in Crisafulli, CM and Dale, VH (editors). Ecological Responses at Mount St. Helens: Revisited 35 years after the 1980 Eruption. New York: Springer.
- Dale, VH and EM Denton. 2017. Plant succession on the Mount St. Helens debris-avalanche deposit and the role of nonnative species. Chapter 8 in Crisafulli, C.M. and Dale, V.H. (editors). Ecological Responses at Mount St. Helens: Revisited 35 years after the 1980 Eruption. New York: Springer.
- Dale VH and KL Kline. 2017. Interactive Posters: A valuable means for enhancing communication and learning about productive paths toward sustainable bioenergy. Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefineries 11(2): 243-246. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bbb.1753/epdf
- Dale VH, KL Kline, ES Parish, AL Cowie, R Emory, RW Malmsheimer, R Slade, CT Smith, TB Wigley, NS Bentsen, G Berndes, P Bernier, M Brandão, H Chum, R Diaz-Chavez, G Egnell, L Gustavsson, J Schweinle, I Stupak, P Trianosky, A Walter, C Whittaker, M Brown, G Chescheir, I Dimitriou, C Donnison, A Goss Eng, KP Hoyt, JC Jenkins, K Johnson, CA Levesque, V Lockhart, MC Negri, JE Nettles, M Wellisch (2017) Status and prospects for renewable energy using wood pellets from the southeastern United States. Global Change Biology Bioenergy 9: 1296-1305. doi: 10.1111/gcbb.12445. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcbb.12445/full
- Dale VH, Parish ES, Kline KL, Tobin E (2017) How is wood-based pellet production affecting forest conditions in the southeastern United States? Forest Ecology and Management 396: 143-149. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2017.03.022
- Duden AS, PA Verweij, HM Junginger, RC Abt, JD Henderson, VH Dale, KL Kline, D Karssenberg, JA Verstegen, APC Faaij, F van der Hilst (2017) Modelling the impacts of wood pellet demand on forest dynamics in southeastern United States. Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bbb.1803/full
- Fritsche, UR, G Berndes, AL Cowie, VH Dale, KL Kline, FX Johnson, H Langeveld, N Sharma, H Watson, J Woods (2017) Energy and land use. Working Paper for the UNCCD Global Land Outlook. Prepared for UNCCD and IRENA.https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5694c48bd82d5e9597570999/t/593a4294b8a79b4be75f6078/1496990366441/Energy+and+Land+Use__U_Fritsche.pdf
- Parish ES, Dale VH, Kline KL Abt RC (2017) Reference scenarios for evaluating wood pellet production in the Southeastern United States. WIREs Energy and Environment. e259. doi: 10.1002/wene.259. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wene.259/epdf
- Souza G, Ballester MVR, Cruz CHB, Chum H, Dale B, Dale VH, Fernandes E, Foust T, Karp A, Lynd L, Maciel R, Milanez A, Nigro F, Osseweijer P, Verdade L, Victoria R, Van Der Wielen L (2017) The role of bioenergy in a climate-changing world. Environmental Development 23:57-64. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211464516302755
- Dale VH, Kline KL, Richard TL, Karlen DL, Belden WW (In press) Bridging Biofuel Sustainability Indicators and Ecosystem Services through Stakeholder Engagement. Biomass and Bioenergy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2017.09.016